Categories

ENJOY; ISSUE; INTERESTING PLACES; INTERIORS; JOYDAY; WALLISM:THE SEMIOTICS OF WALLS; STREET FINDS; SHIFT HOW WE SEE; FASHION; ART; COLOUR

21 June 2015

From the gutter to you



My mother grew up at Bondi beach. Deeply engaged with the constant sea’s presence in her young life, she ran in its waves and walked on the golden sand.  
She spent her days looking not out at the horizon, but down in order to gather evidence of her powerful companion, in the form of pretty seashells, seaweed and quirky, strange detritus. 

Many years on, I also find myself looking down as I walk along, also attempting to find interesting fragments of life, 
but this time it's the evidence of the inner city area where I work and live. 

Being in the gutter is often used as an insult. But looking in gutters will allow you to find a constant source of curious and engaging artifacts that always brings a smile or a question to one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment